A while ago I wrote about why the TCP window scaling normalization in Snort_inline was broken by design. I also wrote about a new solution I was working on and testing that would be uploaded to SVN soon. I just committed the patch to SVN. What it does is add two new options to stream4:
norm_window: normalize the TCP window (disabled by default). This is to protect Snort_inline from being forced to queue too many packets.
max_win_size: maximum size of the scaled TCP window. Packets increasing the window beyond the limit are modified.
This option is disabled by default, and the old wscale normalization code is removed, as are the options that configured it. It runs fine on my gateway, without noticeable slowdowns, but I haven’t done any benchmarking so far. Please try this and let me know how it works for you!